Yesterday I shared how natural stone like marble, travertine and granite actually form in nature.
Today, I wanted to continue with something designers ask me the most:
What’s the real difference between honed, polished, leathered and brushed finishes?
Here’s a quick breakdown from a stone craftsman’s perspective:
✨ Polished
• Glossy, mirror-like surface
• Highlights the veining dramatically
• Best for: luxury bathrooms, vanities, hotels
✨ Honed
• Matte, soft finish
• More modern and minimal
• Less slippery than polished
• Best for: contemporary bathrooms, floors
✨ Leathered
• Textured, tactile surface
• Hides fingerprints incredibly well
• Gives stone a warm, natural depth
• Best for: countertops, feature walls
✨ Brushed
• Softly textured with subtle movement
• Very natural look
• Works beautifully on travertine
• Best for: rustic or Mediterranean style spaces
Why this matters for interior design:
Choosing the right finish can completely change how a bathroom or countertop feels — not just visually but emotionally.
Same stone, four finishes → four different moods.
If anyone wants, I can also share examples of how each finish reacts to light & shadow.
— Maat (stone craftsman)
No comments:
Post a Comment